[postgis-users] Correct dump and restore

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at grid.unep.ch
Fri Nov 10 06:52:57 PST 2006

Under "Hard upgrade" I don't find anything. I guess you mean this
section (page 5)? Seems still rather complicated....

# Create a "custom-format" dump of the database you want
# to upgrade (let’s call it "olddb")
$ pg_dump -Fc olddb olddb.dump
# Restore the dump contextually upgrading postgis into
# a new database. The new database doesn’t have to exist.
# Let’s call it "newdb"
$ sh utils/postgis_restore.pl lwpostgis.sql newdb olddb.dump >
restore.log
# Check that all restored dump objects really had to be restored from
dump
# and do not conflict with the ones defined in lwpostgis.sql
$ grep ^KEEPING restore.log | less
# If upgrading from PostgreSQL < 7.5 to >= 7.5 you might want to
# drop the attrelid, varattnum and stats columns in the geometry_columns
# table, which are no-more needed. Keeping them won’t hurt.
# !!! DROPPING THEM WHEN REALLY NEEDED WILL DO HURT !!!!
$ psql newdb -c "ALTER TABLE geometry_columns DROP attrelid"
$ psql newdb -c "ALTER TABLE geometry_columns DROP varattnum"
$ psql newdb -c "ALTER TABLE geometry_columns DROP stats"
# spatial_ref_sys table is restore from the dump, to ensure your custom
# additions are kept, but the distributed one might contain modification
# so you should backup your entries, drop the table and source the
new one.
# If you did make additions we assume you know how to backup them before
# upgrading the table. Replace of it with the new one is done like this:
$ psql newdb
newdb=> drop table spatial_ref_sys;
DROP
newdb=> \i spatial_ref_sys.sql