[postgis-users] NAVTEQ Data?

Pedro Doria Meunier pdoria at netmadeira.com
Mon Nov 13 03:46:18 PST 2006

About Navteq data and its use in Postgis

The latter is most useful in their GDF (navteq variant) format where routing
is concerned.
The problem is that gdf is a ludicrous format to understand, let alone
implementing, writing a parser, etc...
FME 2006 does it at a very great expense and a great deal of time investment
on the side of the programmer... :-(
A demo -- time based -- of it is available at
http://www.safe.com/evaluation/index.php

A gdf (properly formatted) conversion to shapefile, for a future inclusion
in a postgis database, produces a ludicrous amount of shapefiles and they're
not even readable with shp2pgsql ...

About the gdf format,
There are samples and documents at Ertico --
http://www.ertico.com/en/links/links/gdf_-_geographic_data_files.htm

Regards,
Pedro Doria Meunier
(351) 91 302 49 72 - (351) 96 247 99 12