[postgis-users] dynamic segmentation

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Nov 16 18:36:03 PST 2006

P Kishor wrote:
> Someone asked me recently about open source dynamic segmentation
> solutions. I thought, let's ask the PostGIS community. Is this
> possible with PostGIS? If not, does anyone know of other open source
> solutions for ds?

It sort of depende what you do with dynamic segmentation, some is easily doable
with PostGIS, other stuff is harder.

For example, having a single line feature, representing say, a pipeline.

DS can allow various segments of this to have some different attributes, like
identifying steel & concrete, or above ground & underground sections. You can't
do this quite the same way in PostGIS, but having separate features with a
common attribute, such as 5 separate line segments with a common pipeline_id,
as well as a multiline/geometrycollection representing the composite feature
means you can achieve comparable functionality using appropriate SQL & data
structures.

So does PostGIS "do" dynamic segmentation? Strictly speaking, not really.

Can functionality equivalent to dynamic segmentation be implemented using
PostGIS? Quite often yes.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre