[postgis-users] dynamic segmentation

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Nov 16 21:16:53 PST 2006

As with many things, the terminological environment has been muddied by
the conflation of specific ESRI terms for particular features with
generic terms for the similar things.  Call it the "Chesterfield effect".

ESRI "Dynamic segmentation" is really just "linear referencing of
vectors and associated attributes".
ESRI "Geodatabase" is "a database with a bunch of extra tables defined
by and understood almost exclusively by ESRI"
ESRI "Coverage" is a "vector topology that covers an area" (ever wonder
why the OGC Web Coverage Server specification is about delivering
*raster* data, not vector topologies? because most people have a
different understanding of the word than us GIS brainwashees).
ESRI "Topology" is a "middleware enforcement of spatial relationship rules"

ESRI rules the intellectual world of GIS people so thoroughly that they
define the very limits of the possible. Just last week someone told me
"oh, editing features over the web? the only way to do that is with
ArcGIS Server". The *only* way, and said with complete certainty. You
don't want to argue with people like that, it seems almost rude, like
arguing with people about religion.