[postgis-users] Identity Overlay

Aaron Koning aaronkoning at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 11:23:34 PST 2006

Hi All,

I am trying to perform an identity overlay where each point in a point layer
gets a value from a polygon layer based on what polygon contains the point.
I have come up with the following query which is working fairly well.
     UPDATE point_layer SET b250k_tag = polygon_layer.b250k_tag WHERE
contains(polygon_layer.the_geom, point_layer.the_geom);

I am just wondering if other people have performed identity like overlays in
PostGIS and is there a better / more efficient way to perform them?

Thanks,
Aaron