[postgis-users] -- configure: error: PostgreSQL is required by PostGIS Installing PostGIS --

Øyvind Vestavik oyvindve at idi.ntnu.no
Wed Sep 27 05:35:16 PDT 2006

hi Rafael

Unfortunately, I think your assumption here about where to place PostGis
before compiling it is incorrect.

If you installed from RPM you probably don't have the source code for
PGSQL wich is needed to compile postgis.

Go to the Postgresql website and download the source code. make sure it is
the same version that you installed from RPM (8.1), extract it to
somewhere (your home dir for instance) Now look into the newly created
directory structure. There you will find the correct directory structure
as described in the installation manual for postgis.

Put postgis into the contrib part of the downloaded source code, not into
the contrib created by installing the RPM package.

Now try again. :-)

Kind Regards
Oyvind Vestavik