[postgis-users] Why choose PostGIS?

Alan Cunnane alan_cunnane at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 16:42:53 PDT 2007

Hey guys

I have been using PostGIS for my dissertation now for 6 months and have found it extremely useful, fast and understandable and along with the support you get from this mailing group I have never regretted this decision. However as i am completing my write up I cant seem to find any solid literature or independant reliable benchmarking tests that would show why a user would choos PostGIS for spatial queries over say MySQL. I have read in some places that MySQL is not as OGC compliant as PostGIS however I need an official source to prove this.

Can anyone send me any links to such proof or recommend any literature on this matter? Even one reference would do.

Thanks

Alan