[postgis-users] Why choose PostGIS?

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Aug 7 19:45:26 PDT 2007

Alan Cunnane wrote:
----------------------
I have read in some places that MySQL is not as OGC compliant as PostGIS however I need an official source to prove this.  Can anyone send me any links to such proof or recommend any literature on this matter? Even one reference would do.
----------------------

MySQL operations are solely based on MBRs; even though the geometry comparison functions exist they only operate on bounding boxes:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/functions-that-test-spatial-relationships-between-geometries.html

Also, from this page, note "subset":

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/gis-introduction.html <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/gis-introduction.html>

"MySQL implements a subset of the SQL with Geometry Types environment proposed by OGCMySQL implements a subset of the SQL with Geometry Types environment proposed by OGC

And this page:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysql-gis-conformance-and-compatibility.html <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysql-gis-conformance-and-compatibility.html>

which basically means that there is no spatial reference support.

You can contrast all of this with the fact that PostGIS is SFSQL certified:

http://www.postgis.org/files/opengis-certification.png <http://www.postgis.org/files/opengis-certification.png>

Jason