[postgis-users] Re: Why choose PostGIS?

Justin Bronn jbronn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 17:32:39 PDT 2007

> I have read in some places that MySQL is not as OGC compliant as PostGIS
however I need an official source to prove this.

I won't repeat the links provided by others, go straight to MySQL's
documentation for the "authoritative" confirmation you need.  Further, there
are also official tickets for this support (slated for MySQL 7.0):

http://forge.mysql.com/worklog/task.php?id=2377
http://forge.mysql.com/worklog/task.php?id=1326

One of the MySQL developers, Alexey Botchkov, has implemented a MySQL branch
(off of 5.1) that provides Buffer(), Distance() Intersection(),
Sym_Difference(), Union().  It might be some work, but you could compile
this early MySQL branch for some rough benchmarks:

http://lenz.homelinux.org/archives/125-New-openGIS-functionality-in-MySQL-available-for-testing.html

The only other "free" (but not open source) spatial database I know of is
IBM's DB2 with Spatial Extender:

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/express/download.html

I haven't used it, but it could be used as another spatial database source
for your benchmarking.

Regards,
-Justin