RE: [postgis-users] An I/O error occured while sending to the backend

Stefan Zweig stefanzweig1881 at web.de
Wed Aug 15 06:45:33 PDT 2007

hi mark, hi list,

i have a problem with running these querys:

 SELECT
 AddGeometryColumn('public','_g2994','the_geom_1','4326','MULTIPOLYGON',2);
 ALTER TABLE _g2994 DROP CONSTRAINT enforce_geotype_the_geom_1;
 ALTER TABLE _g2994 ADD CONSTRAINT enforce_geotype_the_geom_1 CHECK
 (geometrytype(the_geom_1) = 'MULTIPOLYGON'::text OR geometrytype(the_geom_1)
 = 'POLYGON'::text OR the_geom_1 IS NULL);

 everthing is alright up to here...

 then i run
 UPDATE _g2994 SET the_geom_1 = buffer(simplify(the_geom,0.0063775005),0)
 WHERE true

unfortunately i am not an expert in reading postgres' server.log but this what happens after the above querys where executed:

LOG:  server process (PID 10410) was terminated by signal 11
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
[...]
LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2007-08-15 15:35:56 CEST
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 2F/26448BC4
LOG:  redo record is at 2F/26448BC4; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 88945157; next OID: 2557087
LOG:  next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG:  redo starts at 2F/26448C08
LOG:  unexpected pageaddr 2F/1E45A000 in log file 47, segment 38, offset 4562944
LOG:  redo done at 2F/26459A80
LOG:  database system is ready
LOG:  transaction ID wrap limit is 2147484146, limited by database "postgres"