[postgis-users] An I/O error occured while sending to the backend

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 15:31:28 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 12:03 +0200, Stefan Zweig wrote:
> hi mark,
>
> thanks for your advice. it was a good idea to test whether only some of the geometrys cause the error. that is in fact the case. i have found out that some of the multipolygons of the the_geom are corrupt, so they are not really multipolygon.
>
> is it possbile to catch this exception (p)sql-side within the query instead of crashing the whole database connection.
>
> btw.: my postgis_version(): 1.2.1
> my posgre: 8.1.4
>
> kind regards,
>
> stefan

Hi stefan,

What do you mean by corrupt? Is there invalid binary data in the
geometry field or is a just a geometry that causes a crash when run as
part of that query?

In the latter case, the important factor will be the version of GEOS you
are using - what does "SELECT postgis_full_version()" show? If you using
anything < 2.2.3 then upgrade and try again; if you are using 2.2.3 or
3.0.0rc4 and crash still happens, please post the offending geometry to
the list.

ATB,

Mark.

--