[postgis-users] Building PostGis with VC++

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Tue Aug 28 19:24:20 PDT 2007

> I'm not clear why it is bad to mess with another DLL's memory.  I
> thought it
> was just dangerous to try and free memory allocated by another DLL (as they
> may have distinct heaps).

I'm not clear either actually.  But when I step through the VC++
debugger I can see that liblwgeom.dll can't get at pj_errno in proj4.dll
  (both build with VC++ 2005 in debug mode).  It thinks it exists
because of the extern, but it seems like it can't actually get at the
storage space in proj4.dll.  They must be pointing at different places
in memory, but I'll have to verify that.

  If that is the case, it should be fine to use
> pj_get_errno_ref() to get a pointer to the pj_errno in the PROJ DLL and
> work by reference through that pointer.

Ok, I can give that a go - upon further consideration that should work.

Charlie