[postgis-users] Error installing on Linux Centos 5

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Sat Dec 1 10:24:47 PST 2007

If you want to install postgresql and postgis to the latest, don't yum
install them ... download and install them both from source.

1) download and install postgresql
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/install-short.html
2) download and install the latest geos
http://geos.refractions.net/
3) download and install proj.4
http://www.remotesensing.org/proj/
4) change to contrib directory in your source tree of postgresql and
install postgis
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch02.html

You may have to specify the location of pg_config location with
--with-pgsql when installing postgis (perhaps as well as the --with-geos
and --with-proj options as well).

Cheers,
Kevin