[postgis-users] Open-ended (and slightly amateurish) topology question

Webb Sprague webb.sprague at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 23:18:52 PST 2007

Hi list, please forgive my both my top-quoting and my ignorance ...

... but could someone describe the canonical use-cases of GIS
topology, especially within the context of PostGIS (ie at the psql
prompt)?  Or a canonical set of abstract data structures to represent
a topology?  A detailed example?

Would "a topology" be mostly useful for enforcing geographic
constraints when editing and inserting?  Doing quick adjacency
queries?  Routing?  Modifying  a geography? How?

(It seems to me there should be a schema attached to the main db to
hold topology information in parallel, with triggers and functions to
keep them in sync or throw "topology violation errors" as appropriate,
but I don't really know what I am talking about....)

If there is a reference somewhere, or a way to play with topology in a
free GIS, please share...

Thx!