[postgis-users] need restore assistance

Kirk Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Mon Dec 10 12:41:10 PST 2007

I set up a new machine and am trying to do a restore from a
pg_dumpall. First question, is this possible. I noticed after running
the command:

psql 'file_to_restore' postgres

that for the most part, all of the databases get restored, however,
tables
that contain spatial info (such as the_geom) are missing from their
respective databases.

I was reading the documentation and see a reference to a "Hard
Restore" using

sh utils/postgis_restore.pl lwpostgis.sql newdb olddb.dump -E=UNICODE
 > restore.log

But I can't find postgis_restore.pl on my system.

Additionally, I am concerned
that the pg_dumpall may not have bee done with -Fc. Can a pg_dumpall
be restored if it contains spatial info from postgis?

It looks like I am about to learn the hard way how to do a proper
postgis backup, and that the postgresql procedures I am used to, may
not be sufficient.

Thanks for any advice that might help me get this db back up

Kirk