[postgis-users] Error installing on Linux Centos 5

Devrim GÜNDÜZ devrim at CommandPrompt.com
Mon Dec 10 16:02:48 PST 2007

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 23:16 +0200, Andre Schoonbee wrote:
> Hope this is not a blond moment, But I cannot get postgis 1.2.1
> installed on my Centos 5. Postgresql is running and I can connect to
> the database. I have downloaded the tar.gz file and extracted it. When
> running./configure all goes well until I get and error that PostgreSQL
> is needed.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

You need to install postgresql-devel RPM to compile PostGIS.

OTOH, we already have RPMs of PostGIS for CentOS 5:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/repoview/postgis.html
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/repoview/postgis-utils.html

To use this repo in the future, read this:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#howtouse

> I also wan to upgrade both  postgresql and postgis to the latest, but yum is not detecting the latest versions.

CentOS 5 has only 8.1 in their repositories. You may want to use
PostgreSQL Global Development Group RPMs (PGDG RPMs) for latest version
of PostgreSQL:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.2.5/linux/rpms/redhat/

You'll see RHEL 5 directories there, which are also binary compatible
with CentOS 5.

I'm currently working on an automated RPM builder and yum repository
thing nowadays. Keep eye on http://planetpostgresql.org for the
announcement of the yum repo.

Regards,

--