[postgis-users] GiST index on Geometry Column

Kyle Wilcox Kyle.Wilcox at noaa.gov
Thu Dec 13 08:14:50 PST 2007

I am having trouble creating a GiST index on a MULTIPOLYGON column.
When the table is empty, the indexes will be created without errors, but
inserts will fail with the error.  When the table has entries in it, the
creation of the index will fail with the same error.  The index creation
only fails on the poly_geom column and works in both conditions for the
point_geom column.

ERROR: function 60821C60 returned NULL

PostgreSQL: 8.2.4 on Windows

The table is set up as follows:

CREATE TABLE model.grid
(
	gid serial primary key,
	mid integer,
	landmask boolean
);

SELECT AddGeometryColumn('model','grid','point_geom',4326,'POINT',2);
SELECT AddGeometryColumn('model','grid','poly_geom',4326,'MULTIPOLYGON',2);
 ALTER TABLE model.grid ADD CONSTRAINT "Upoint" UNIQUE(mid, point_geom);
ALTER TABLE model.grid ADD CONSTRAINT "Upoly" UNIQUE(mid, poly_geom);
CREATE INDEX point_gist ON model.grid USING gist (point_geom);
CREATE INDEX poly_gist ON model.grid USING gist (poly_geom);

Any ideas?

--

 Kyle Wilcox
 NOAA Chesapeake Bay Office
 Kyle.Wilcox at noaa.gov

 "It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places
  that we are broken that we come to repair the world."
						- Murray Waas