[postgis-users] Windows 1.2.1 upgrade problem

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 04:16:33 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 13:00 +0100, Arnaud Lesauvage wrote:
> Hi list !
>
> I uninstalled Postgis 1.2.0 from my server and tried to install 1.2.1 using the windows installer, but the install fails when trying to run the lwpostgis.sql script :
>
> psql:C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.2/share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:65: ERROR:  type "histogram2d" already exists
> psql:C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.2/share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:82: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
> and so on...
>
> I have only one database appart from postgres and template_postgis. The postgis functions are alle defined in the database, but the installer should not know about them, right ?
>
> What is wrong ?
>
> Regards
> --
> Arnaud

Hi Arnaud,

If you already have a template_postgis from an older version of the
Windows Installer, it should be detected as part of the install process
and re-created with the correct functions for the new version.

One thing to check is that PostGIS functions have not been loaded into
the template1 database, and so are not automatically added to the
template_postgis database when it is recreated. If so, you need to
regenerate template1 using template0 as detailed in the PostgreSQL
documentation and re-run the installer.

Kind regards,

Mark.