[postgis-users] join and intersect() over 3 tables

Torsten Lange tlange at gwdg.de
Tue Jul 3 16:57:14 PDT 2007

Hello,

I have different data characterizing subsurface drillings distributed
over two tables (master_data_table, geological_column_table) and I need
both tables to join. The master_data_table has a geometry (points). The
join must spacially intersect with a specific area (study_area_table -
polygon). Ok. I know how to intersect two geometries. And I know how to
join tables. How do I have to combine it correctly for all three tables?
Can I use for instance the join syntax also for the intersection
function - similar to "table1 inner join table2
on(intersection(master_data_table.geom, study_area.the_geom)) inner join
table3 on(table1.id=table3.id) ..."?

That's what I use for intersecting two geometries.
SELECT drilling_data_1,
       drilling_data_2,
       drilling_data_n,
       intersection (master_data_table.the_geom,
study_area_table.the_geom ) AS the_geom
  FROM master_data_table, study_area_table
 WHERE IsEmpty (Intersection (master_data_table.geom,
study_area_table.the_geom)) = FALSE;

Thank you for help, Torsten