[postgis-users] insert interactively asc or text files

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Jul 5 08:04:33 PDT 2007

What language are you web programming in?  I've done this kind of stuff
in both PHP and ASP.NET and for those cases,  I just have a routine that
uploads the file into some temp folder on the website and then do
inserts into the Pg database from the temp file.

The benefit of this approach over COPY is the following
 if your webserver does not have network file access to where your
Postgresql resides, then this will work where as COPY really only works
if you can COPY the file to your PostgreSQL server, have network access
across or your PostgreSQL server is on the same box as your webserver.

The other benefit is that it gives you much more granular control than
you get with COPY for error handling and such.

The downside is that it is slower than the COPY method, but for files
smaller than say 1MB its probably adequately fast.

Both PHP and ASP.Net have utilities for reading in csv and dbf files
among others.  If you are interested I can provide you some code that
does it in both languages.  I just have to cut out all the fluff and
proprietary stuff.

Thanks,
Regina