[postgis-users] Question on how to optimize linestring to points distance query

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Mon Jul 9 18:06:17 PDT 2007

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Perhaps you could try some experiments for us :)
>
> Write a PL/PgSQL function that takes in a linestring and returns a
> tupleset of two (or four or eight) bounding boxes, that taken together
> cover the linestring.  By recursively dividing the master box into
> smaller boxes that still cover the line, you should be able to get
> bigger index selectivity.

Paul are you suggesting that a geometry can have more than one GIST
node?  As I read them GIST compress and decompress as tied directly to a
single tuple having a geometry.

Maybe there could be a concept of a multi-bbox  upon which some some
index selectivity could be built?

A geometry's bounding box is broken into a grid and each element to
tested if it truly contains a part of the original geometry.
Optimizations may exist.

That would be way more expensive to index but might massively improve
query speeds for complex objects.  It would increase index storage size
a good deal as a downside.
It would be a super elegant way to speed index queries for complex
entities and have little impact on simple objects.
It would increase index storage size a good deal as a small downside.
(The entire index works best when it all fits into memory, that is a
server tuning issue.)

Can a single geometry datatype have alternate GIST index forms?  My
guess is no.  If so no half way rollout testing.

C.

> If your tests work OK, this could be something of more general
> applicability.

I get 1 30x improvement in speed breaking Polygons having more than 500
vertices into 1/100th chunks.
Of course SQL environments are designed to wade through tons of
features.  So a 1 - > 100 expansion is no real problem.

I have attached the plpgsql function to do the splitting.  I is tuned
around some GEOS issues I run into.