[postgis-users] how to pass dbf to postgis

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Tue Jul 17 13:18:18 PDT 2007

You can use OGR2OGR to import a dbf file like this

ogr2ogr -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=myserver user=myuser dbname=mydb password=mypassword" D:\GISData\somefile.dbf -nln newtablename

where D:\GISData\somefile.dbf replace with your dbf file
myserver, myuser, mydb, mypassword you can replace with your respective values
newtablename replace with the table you want to create.

More details can be found here  about using OGR2OGR in general
http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=ogr_cheatsheet

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can import files with shp2pgsql although given that dbf is actually a subset of an esri shape file, it would seem to me a minor change to give it that functionality.

Thanks,
Regina