[postgis-users] Copy geometry from one table to another with insert statement fails]

Milo van der Linden mlinden at zeelandnet.nl
Sat Jul 21 02:26:04 PDT 2007

Hello!
Kevin, you are growing to be my personal hero. I am getting a good
understanding here. I used to work with Spatialware from MapInfo a lot,
so I know the matter well. I had figured out that the geometry_columns
table would be something like mapinfo's mapcatalog.

I would love to write an article on the proces I now go to for the
official user documentation once I feel I controle the proces. The
article would be called something like:
"How to - copy spatial tables with options in postGIS"

Kevin Neufeld schreef:
> Ah, ok. Getting a clearer picture.
>
> It looks like your production table is currently empty which is why it
> returned nothing.
That is right!

> PostGIS is an add-on to PostgreSQL that simply adds a few new
> datatypes (ie. geometry, box3d), a few functions (ie. intersects(...),
> distance(...)) and a couple of tables (geometry_columns and
> spatial_ref_sys) to a database instance.
>
> In postgres, it's entirely possible to simply create a table with a
> geometry column by simply typing:
> CREATE TABLE public.tmp (id integer, the_geom geometry);
>
> However, creating a table this way would permit someone to insert
> geometries of varying types (ie. POINT, LINESTRING,...), of varying
> dimensions (2, 3 or 4D), and of varying projections (different SRIDs).
> What would be ideal is to add constraints to your table that would
> ensure that geometries are of the same type.
>
> One of the many functions added by PostGIS is addgeometrycolumn(...).
> Use this function whenever you want to add a geometry column to a
> table. So our previous example would be:
> CREATE TABLE public.tmp (id integer);
> SELECT addgeometrycolumn('public','tmp','the_geom',4326,'LINESTRING',2);
That is clear! Thank you, I will drop my hand made tables and recreate
them in this manner. It seems that OGR does it correct during import, so
the staging table can remain as is.

> This function simply adds a column called 'the_geom' of type
> 'geometry' to the public.tmp table, adds three constraints to the
> table (/enforce_dims_the_geom, enforce_geotype_the_geom, /and
> /enforce_srid_the_geom/), and inserts a row into the geometry_colums
> table.
> This ensures that the public.tmp table will only have geometries of
> type 'LINESTRING', are of 2 dimensions, and have an SRID of 4326.
Perfect!

> See (http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch06.html#id2997535)
>
> Whenever you drop a table, you must first use the
> dropgeometrycolumn(...) function that will automatically remove the
> necessary row from the geometry_columns table and drop the geometry
> column. Then you can drop the table.
That's clear and that was a function I was looking for. I will check if
it has been discussed to create a trigger for this, because I think that
would make life a bit easier.

> If you drop a table without calling dropgeometrycolumn first, you will
> have to manually delete the corresponding row in the geometry_columns
> table. Not a big deal, but a pain.
clear

> There is nothing special at all about the geometry_columns table. It's
> just a simple table that stores metadata about the tables with
> geometry columns in the database, and as you've already discovered,
> it's easy to get out of date. It's really only there to be OGC
> compliant. Some applications, like mapserver, use this table to
> quickly find all the registered geometry columns in a database ...
> although a complete list can be obtained by looking at the system tables.
I understand. On the things that follow below, I have to get back on
that next week. It seems the person who contracted me closes it's VPN
connection in the weekend, so I cannot access the machine I was working
on! Hahaha, that is a way to force people to take weekends off.