[postgis-users] Calling shp2pgsql with PHP's exec()

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Tue Jun 26 07:09:01 PDT 2007

Are you running on windows or linux.

I know at least on Windows - that error is usually caused one of the
following

1) if you typed the password in wrong on the services section or if you
changed the windows nt password for the account that the postgresql
service is running under or for whatever reason it doesn have run at
server rights.  You have to go into services and retype in the password
or change the local policy to give it run as service rights.

    2) you screwed up on your postgresql.conf file. e.g you set memory
or buffers too high etc and it can't allocate that much

3) Malformed pg_hba.conf file.

Regarding the other issue about shp2pgsql.  I myself haven't tried
running this from PHP, but I have run other exes form php.  In order for
exes to execute from PHP, you need to make sure the IIS_WPG group (for
windows 2003) or (IUSR and IWAM accounts, Network Service) have execute
rights to the exe and related exes.  E.g. I think they need execute
rights to cmd.exe which sometimes  gets removed by security lock down
tools.

Hope that helps,
Regina