[postgis-users] 2d and 3d?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Mar 9 01:37:12 PST 2007

Kai Behncke wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> A thing in PostGIS that I don`t understand is the factor 3d.
>
> For example there are the commands:
> SELECT perimeter2d(the_geom) from table
> and
> SELECT perimeter3d(the_geom) from table.
>

> Is is really possible to store 3d-data in PostGIS?
> Does anybody has an example for how to insert 3d-data in a table?

Kai,

yes, it is possible to store extra coordinate dimension.
See, section 4.1.2

http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html

There is detailed explanation and some examples of geometries.

If you need more geometries examples, here is a file including my
geometries I use to test FDO provider for PostGIS:

http://svn.refractions.net/fdopostgis/trunk/Providers/PostGIS/Src/UnitTest/ewkb.txt

Every geometry is given as (E)WKT and (E)WKB encoded as hex string.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net