[postgis-users] PostGIS 2.0 Wishlist

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Fri May 4 01:55:14 PDT 2007

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> FYI, I'm working on the overall wishlist document at this URL:
>
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg99qr76_2dgt26j

While topology/routing certainly would be a very nice add-on to
PostGIS, it would already be helpful for several cases being able to
define what I'd call a "junction" or a connection between two
geometries. I'm not fluent in these special terms, so please excuse if
my explanation sounds a bit weird - feel free to translate it into
your own words ....  ;-)

Let A be a polygon and B a linestring. At the location O there is a
vertice in A as well as a node in B - O makes the logical connection
between these two. If the node in B at the location O is being
relocated, then the vertice in A at the location O should be moved as
well:

      /-----\ A
      |     |
      \--O--/

         \
          \

I know that such function would have to be backed by certain contraints
(what is supposed to happen if I remove the node in B at O). Just
because it's a bit complex I _do_ see a noticeable value in puttin such
feature onto the wish list for PostGIS - instead of implementing the
whole thingie in SQL procedures.

Cheers,
	Martin.