[postgis-users] PostGIS 2.0 Wishlist

Christian Heine christian at geosci.usyd.edu.au
Sat May 12 07:04:51 PDT 2007

Hi list,
I would like to second Brent and Corey's wish for a better support of the
+-180 problem.

>> It's something we hope for funding for, but absent that will
>> probably be
>> low down the priority list, since it is a relatively rare use case.

[snip]
> Heavy sigh!!
>
> It might be rare for some, but 2 out of three datasets I use are a
> problem due to this issue.
[rest snipped]

The group I did my PhD with at Sydney Uni is doing plate tectonic modeling
on a global scale. Contrary to most of the other people in the GIS area,
we  need to utilise global-scale data for most of our work and the +-180
deg issue is a very significant one for us. A number of plate polygons are
crossing 180? (the Pacific plate, Eurasia, Alaska, Antarctica) presently,
the number gets larger the further one goes back in time a couple of
hundreds of millions of years ;-)). I'd certainly appreciate if that
problem could be addressed in the 2.0 version of PostGIS.  And as Brent
pointed out, maybe the way the Generic Mapping Tools (GMT) solve this
problem could be of help.

Cheers,
Christian

--