[postgis-users] Shortest Distance from Every Point

Matthew Pulis mpulis at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 08:05:20 PDT 2007

Hi,

I am trying to make a query so it parses through all the 16 cities i have in
a table called city, and for each city, picks the nearest city, and gives me
the distance between both cities.

This is the query I made :

select
c.city_name, astext(c.the_geom), distance(c.the_geom, d.the_geom) AS
Distance, d.city_name, astext(d.the_geom)
from city c, city d
where
c.city_name = (
select c.city_name order by c.city_name ASC
)
and
d.city_name = (
select d.city_name order by d.city_name DESC
)
group by c.city_name
order by Distance DESC
LIMIT 1;

But I am getting this error : ERROR: column "c.the_geom" must appear in the
GROUP BY clause or be used in an aggregate function

I am seeing no reason why I should add c.the_geom, anyone can enlighten me
more on why I should group by the_geom and after all if it does make sense?

Thanks

--
Matthew Pulis
www.solutions-lab.net // www.mepa-clan.info