[postgis-users] Help with Geography's Coordinates

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Thu Nov 15 08:29:29 PST 2007

You have your points as ... ASCII? perhaps in a CSV file? If so, you can
import your points directly into PostGIS using the PostgreSQL /copy
command or SQL's COPY syntax.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-commands.html
Or you could programmatically, ie, though Java, Perl, or PHP, or ...
INSERT your coordinates directly into a table.

One in, you can use ST_SetSRID(ST_MakePoint(<long>, <lat>), 4326) to
create a geometry column in your table.

Now you can use As_SVG(geometry) to create paths in SVG using your
geometries.
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch06.html

If you want to transform your geometries into a different projection,
you don't need ogr, you can simply use the ST_Transform(geometry, <new
SRID>) method described in the mentioned docs.

-- Kevin