[postgis-users] ERROR: ExteriorRing: geom is not a polygon

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Tue Oct 2 07:41:17 PDT 2007

 That is strange - not sure why that would be empty unless you have no records with only one polygon in the multipolygon which from previous comment that did not sound like the case.

If you wanted to insert all your polygons into another table as single polygons regardless if they started out as
multipolygon or polygon
Then the following command should do the trick

INSERT INTO newtable(the_geom)
SELECT ST_GeometryN(the_geom, generate_series(1, ST_NumGeometries(the_geom)))
FROM ffh_rep

Should give you all your geometries as polygons.  Then you can just apply ST_ExteriorRing(the_geom) on each of those in the new table to get the linestring that is the exterior ring of each.

Hope that helps,
Regina