[postgis-users] Installation Error

Zedler, Doug Doug.Zedler at fortworthgov.org
Wed Oct 3 08:03:18 PDT 2007

I'm trying to install PostgreSQL and PostGIS to play with it and learn
about it.  I installed PostgreSQL 8.2.4 just fine.  I am able to connect
using pgAdmin III and such.  When I run the PostGIS 1.3.1 installation
executable, I get the following error:

createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  password
authentication failed for user "postgres"

I am able to connect to the postgres database using pgAdmin III under
the postgres role using the same password I'm putting into the
installation wizard, and I'm not mixing up the password for the database
role with the password for the local account on my machine.  Any
suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Douglas B. Zedler

IT Programmer/Analyst