[postgis-users] Problem with loading postgis libs

Patrick Ouellet patrick.ouellet at groupealta.com
Wed Oct 10 10:02:21 PDT 2007

I have found a post in the archive which is similar to my issue
but the provided answer did not help me enough lol.

Here goes.
Im running centos 5 updated to lastest updates.
I installed from rpm postgres 8.1.9 along with the postgres libs and
server packages.
I forcefully installed gdal and proj from the package available on
postgis ftp
(forcefully because It would only install with postgres 8.1.1 but I had
8.1.9
the documentation stated it should work with 8.1.1 and greater )
Then I built postgis and geos libs.

But it wont go past the make check.
With this error:

[root at Wolverine postgis-1.3.1]# make check
make -C regress test
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/postgis-1.3.1/regress'
Creating spatial db postgis_reg
ERROR:  function postgis_lib_version() does not exist
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You may
need to add explicit type casts.

 Something went wrong (no postgis installed in postgis_reg).
 For details, check /tmp/pgis_reg_3989/regress_log

make[1]: *** [test] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/postgis-1.3.1/regress'
make: *** [check] Error 2

In the regress log I have this error

psql:lwpostgis.sql:44: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
psql:lwpostgis.sql:44: ERROR:  could not load library
"/usr/src/postgis-1.3.1/lwgeom/liblwgeom.so.1.3": libgeos_c.so.1: cannot

In the post I found it said to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I know of this as a
bad practice, is there any other way?
If not how can I update LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it would work.
There were also mention of SElinux I disabled it until Im sure it works
without it.
Also I checked and the file rights should be ok for any user to read and
execute the lib.

Thanx for everyone's help
Keep up the good work !