[postgis-users] Geometry precision

Paul Moen pmoen at nd.gov
Mon Oct 15 07:00:43 PDT 2007

Is there any way to set a level of precision in postgis?

I have one wkt defined as,
POINT(23456.123456 987654.123456)

I have another wkt defined as,
POINT(23456.123461 987654.123500)

The units are feet.  Is there any way to get postgis to treat these points
as equal since the distance between the points is less than .00005 feet.  If
these points do not equal intersections between adjacent polygons will give
polygon slivers instead of a linestring.

I realize that the functions are returning the actual results, I am just
wondering if there is a way to store the information in the geometrys as a
set precision and get back the geometry as a wkt with points having that
same precision, ie 1000ths of feet.

Thanks,

Paul Moen