[postgis-users] indexing images stored in PostGres

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Oct 19 08:32:59 PDT 2007

--- P Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:

> The topic of storing satellite imagery in the db vs. on the filesystem
> has been discussed before. I am hoping for answer to the following --
>
> Can I store imagery in the db with the hope of being able to query for
> specific areas of interest (AOI) in the imagery and retrieving just
> those portions of the image?
>
> The images repository is not static -- new images are being added
> constantly, at a pretty high rate... several Gb a day.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of touch for a while.

You might look at www.atlasmd.com

We use it as an image management tool, and have no problems. We funded the port
to PostGIS & it uses mapserver/javascript, with image locations as points in
the internal db, manages images in directories with paths in the db. We have
abstracted all the background layers to our corporate WMS server, so they are
not managed on the atlas server.

It is s commercial tool, sitting on top of Firebird or PostGIS.... which may
not be what you are after, but the developers are very competent & helpful & it
is pretty customisable.

Cheers,

   Brent Wood