[postgis-users] St_Simplify usage with adjacent polygons

Dane Blakely Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Fri Oct 19 17:20:35 PDT 2007

A question regarding the function ST_Simplify:

I have a postgis layer of watershed polygons that I would like to
simplify, yet while keeping all shared edges. In other words, I'd
like to remove vertices along shared boundaries without creating gaps
between adjacent polygons. I'm no expert in how the Douglas-Peuker
algorithm works, but I found this past postgis-users thread:

[postgis-users] Simplify() and direction dependency
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2005-January/
006590.html

It seems that directionality of the lines making up the multigeometry
may cause gaps or slivers between polygons in cases. Whether or not
this is the correct explanation, it IS what am experiencing. Perhaps
this could be avoided by fixing the input data, but short of
modifying the directionality of my data, are there any other
functions or ideas regarding the ST_simplify command that might be
helpful here?

Details: Postgis 1.3.1 build on Mac Os 10.4 with postgresql 8.2.5
using multipolygon data imported from shapefile.

A graphic to illustrate the slivers is attached: dark black line is
raw dataset, blue polygons on top are simplified using 5000 as
tolerance.

Thanks,

Dane