[postgis-users] noding problem

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Tue Oct 23 15:25:27 PDT 2007

The TopologyException is telling you exactly where the error occurs.  I
would try subsetting your date to just the area around the give location
(and say make it 50% larger).  Then try the "noding" query again and see
if it gives the same result.

It is unusual for ST_Union to find a problem when noding linework, but
it can happen due to precision issues.  Another thing you can try is to
reduce the precision of your data slightly (using snap-to-grid).  This
sometimes "jiggles" things enough that the noding will work.

These kind of precision issues usually happen because there are line
segments in adjacent polygons which are *nearly but not precisely*
parallel.  This in turn happens when you have data which looks like a
polygonal coverage but which isn't in fact fully noded together.  Is
this possibly what your data looks like?

If this all still fails, consider sending this to us as 2 shapefiles to
have a look at.