[postgis-users] Write out KML for each database record?

Dane Blakely Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Tue Oct 23 15:36:53 PDT 2007

Hello,

I have been using the PostgreSQL COPY command and the Postgis AsKml()
function to write out a KML file for a single database record that
matches a WHERE clause, which is very handy.

Here is the generalized SQL query:

Copy (SELECT 'XML HEADER HERE' || askml(the_geom) || 'XML FOOTER
HERE' from mytable where name = unique record) TO '/recordname.kml';

I would like to do this for every database record, therefore creating
a single, independent KML file for every geometry row. I think this
undoubtedly requires a bit of scripting to loop through every
database record and save to a new .kml file by running an individual
SQL query as many times are there are rows.

I am learning PHP, but at this point turning query results into
arrays and then passing those back to another query is beyond my
skill level.

Has anyone else used PHP, PL/PGSQL, or other approaches to try
something like this?

Dane