[postgis-users] Postresql 8.3 beta and windows problem ...

Ann Holt aholt at zylaya.com
Wed Oct 24 10:05:50 PDT 2007

Hello,

I am currently trying to evaluate upgrading to Postgresql 8.3, but

having problems even getting the complete database up and running

because I can't get PostGIS installed with the database properly.  So,

first I'm running in a Windows environment and apparently there were

some changes made in 8.3 that force the encoding for the database to

match the locale of the windows setting.  That means that I have to

set the encoding for the database to WIN1252 instead of UTF8.  This

causes the PostGIS installer to die when it tries to create the

template because it tries to create it with UTF8 encoding and postgres

won't allow that.

I then thought to try and manually do the install, and so copied the

dll from the lib in my 8.1 directory to the 8.3 directory, dumped the

template from 8.1, created the template database in 8.3 with the right

encoding and tried a restore.  The functions that referenced the dll

came back with an error : incompatible library (location of the file):

missing magic block.

Thanks for any help,

Ann