[postgis-users] ST_Difference

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Oct 24 14:01:39 PDT 2007

Oh, yeah, oops, I know. It's the join logic, its finding the things
not contained for each world feature, not for the full world set.

select pd.* from pandatestdata pd,
(select p.id
from pandatestdata p, world2_12nm w
where st_contains(w.the_geom, p.the_geom)) as wd where pd.id <> wd.id;

Ugly, but probably effective: find all the things contained, then
just strip those out.

The trouble is that disjointness is not an easily spatially indexable
operation. If you're going to take this into operation with large
data volumes, a more effective data set would be ocean polygons, cut
up into smallish regular grid squares, then you can test containment
with relatively good index selectivity.

P.