[postgis-users] new to gis, trying to get started

anders conbere aconbere at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 22:16:35 PDT 2007

I'm trying to do some work with cities, but struggling to figure out
first how to get polygon data about the worlds cities and second how
to patch together many different formats and files into a singular
postGIS database

Say for instance all the Tiger/Line data...

I would be more than happy to build a US set of data based on that for
city polygons, but they're not in shapefile format (and ogr2ogr isn't
available on my mac, though I can convert them on my linux box at
home), and I'm not sure I understand who the shapefile importer works
in terms of clobbering data already there etc.

anyway... I guess I'm lost and looking for ways to deal with all the
vast different paths doing google searches for GIS seams to take you.

~ Anders