[postgis-users] How to get the centroid of an bounding box using st_extent

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Fri Sep 21 13:25:54 PDT 2007

Hi Paul et al,

> Well, clearly there's a bug to be fixed.

And attached is a patch.  This updates BOX2DFLOAT4_to_LWGEOM and
BOX3D_to_LWGEOM to:

* Return a point when xmin==xmax && ymin==ymax

* Return a line string when xmin==xmax || ymin==ymax

* Otherwise return a polygon

Note both methods are exactly the same, except the first line - which
does seem pretty silly.  I'd probably change BOX3D_to_LWGEOM to create a
  box2dfloat and then call BOX2DFLOAT4_to_LWGEOM.  But I left it as it
was.  I also cleaned up the code a bit to use pointArray_construct -
which for some reason it wasn't.

Thanks,

Charlie