[postgis-users] TIGER/Line Shapefiles released

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Apr 3 19:48:38 PDT 2008

Stephen Frost wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> * Stephen Woodbridge (woodbri at swoodbridge.com) wrote:
>> I had an extensive discussion with some of the Census Geography staff
>> about the Island provinces and Hawaii because I was trying to align
>> Navteq routes over Tiger data and the Navteq routes were about a .25-.5
>> miles east of the Tiger data in Hawaii.
>
> Interesting...
>
>> It turns out that they really have not idea what the "local datums" are
>> that were originally used. I tried a lot of the local Island datums in
>> the proj4 epsg file but could not find any close  matches.
>
> In their documentation they talk about the datums used for these
> regions..  Lemme go look up what they say..
>
> Here we go:
>
> North American Datum of 1983 in the 48 contiguous states, the District
> of Columbia, Alaska, Hawaii (only Oahu Island within Honolulu County, HI
> (15003)), Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
>
> Regional datums are used in the Pacific Island Areas (American Samoa,
> Guam, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands) and most of
> Hawaii.
>
> The datums used in the remainder of Hawaii are as follows:  Hawaii
> County, HI (15001), Old Hawaiian Datum; Honolulu County, HI (15003),
> local astronomic datums for all islands northwest of 161 degrees west
> longitude; Kalawao County, HI (15005), Old Hawaiian Datum; Kauai County,
> HI (15007), Old Hawaiian Datum for Kauai Island and local astronomic
> datum for Kaula Rock; Maui County, HI (15009), Old Hawaiian Datum.
>
> The datums used in American Samoa are as follows:  Eastern District, AS
> (60010), American Samoa Datum of 1962; Manu'a District, AS (60020),
> American Samoa Datum of 1962; Rose Island, AS (60030), local astronomic
> datum; Swains Island, AS (60040), local astronomic datum 1939; Western
> District, AS (60050), American Samoa Datum of 1962.
>
> The Guam Datum of 1963 is used in Guam (66010).  The datums used in the
> Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands are as follows:  Northern
> Islands Municipality (69085), Guam Datum of 1963 (Agrihan, Alamagan,
> Anatahan, Gugan, Medinilla, Pagan, and Sarigan Islands) and local
> astronomic datums (Asuncion, Maug, and Farallon De Pajaros Islands);
> Rota Municipality (69100), Guam Datum of 1963; Saipan Municipality
> (69110), Guam Datum of 1963; Tinian Municipality (69120), Guam Datum of
> 1963.
>
> So, there's somewhat more information there than perhaps there was
> previously, but I havn't gone hunting for, eg, "Old Hawaiian Datum".  If
> someone does come up with the correct datums/srids/etc based off of this
> (or whatever), I'd be happy to update my script accordingly.

Yeah, that is pretty much what they finally offered to me after a lot of
research. I think some of this is newer info than I originally got. I
would have to go digging for my notes, and this info about is probably
more accurate at this point.

I was primarily focused on the problem I had with the route alignments
that we resolved by using the Navteq data for the maps when we were
displaying routes.

 From proj4 epsg:

# Old Hawaiian
<4135> +proj=longlat +ellps=clrk66 +no_defs  <>

# American Samoa 1962
<4169> +proj=longlat +ellps=clrk66 +towgs84=-115,118,426,0,0,0,0
+no_defs  <>

 From proj4 esri

# GCS Guam 1963
<37220> +proj=longlat +ellps=clrk66  no_defs <>

Best regards,
   -Stephen Woodbridge
    http://imaptools.com/