[postgis-users] Newbie Question

Pedro Doria Meunier pdoria at netmadeira.com
Tue Aug 5 12:45:01 PDT 2008

Hi Adam,
This is what I use when I want to see which map to use for a vehicle's
current position:

SELECT myfield1 FROM maps AS m
WHERE m.b_box && geomfromtext('POINT(-16.3 32.7)',4326) LIMIT 1

(Note: there might be a newer/better function in PostGIS 1.3 ... )

The top-level maps table consists of polygons defining countries
boundaries.
This query returns the correspondent map for the given location so this
should be applicable for your perimeters, which I guess are polygons :)

HTH,
Pedro Doria Meunier