[postgis-users] 3d buffering

Sufficool, Stanley ssufficool at rov.sbcounty.gov
Thu Aug 14 09:46:00 PDT 2008

I recall asking this question before (with tongue in cheek).

Point --> Sphere
Line --> Sausage
Polygon --> Extrusion

I imagine if you were to look at this practically, each point would be
buffered to a sphere for a given geometry and then tangent planes would
be added. The inner facing surfaces of the spheroids would then be
removed.

I think this is a function of a rendering engine, not of a spatial
database.