[postgis-users] Memory problem with ST_Within

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 04:10:54 PDT 2008

Birgit Laggner wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I have 2 large datasets (the first one consists of polygons and has
> 15099748 rows and the second is a point geometry with 76421902 rows) and
> would like to sort out which points are located within which polygons.
> The aim is to calculate some statistics (count, min, max, avg) for the
> points in every polygon. When I tested the query with a small subset,
> everything worked fine and the result looked the way I expected. But
> applied on the whole datasets, the query runs for approximately 10 mins
> and then stops because the server is out of memory.

Hi Birgit,

If PostgreSQL stops due to lack of memory, it generally dumps
information about memory usage into the server log file before it
terminates. Can you see any such information in your PostgreSQL log
file? If so, posting it here would help greatly, along with the output
of "SELECT postgis_full_version()".

ATB,

Mark.

--