[postgis-users] Memory problem with ST_Within

Birgit Laggner birgit.laggner at vti.bund.de
Tue Aug 26 00:51:41 PDT 2008

Thanks to everybody who tried to help me solving this problem!!
Meanwhile, we (actually, it was our admin :-) ) made it by programming a
loop in plpsql as a postgresql function. With the loop, the query ran
overnight without problems and my select result is exactly as I wanted
it to be.

Regards,

Birgit.

Burgholzer,Robert schrieb:
> Birgit,
> My guess is that the part of the query that is causing the memory dump
> is not the GIST index, but rather the within query, which must iterate
> through all of your points.
>
> That said, if you wish to determine if the GIST index is causing
> problems, you could do the && in a separate query, store the results,
> along with ID columns to map your results in a temp table, and then do
> the standard "within" query (not "st_within" which forces the index
> usage) on this subset of records whose bounding boxes overlap.
>
> I suspect that you will still find the memory dump problems.
>
> One other approach that you could use, to winnow down the field of
> candidates, is to add a second geometry field to your polygon table, and
> place a simplified version of the geometries in there (using
> simplify(geomcol, tolerance).  Some times, the geometries can be
> simplified without losing any relevant spatial information.  My
> experience is that the greatest way to reduce query intensity, and
> improve speed as well as eliminate memory trouble is to reduce the
> number of points that you are analyzing.
>
> r.b.
>
> Robert W. Burgholzer
> Surface Water Modeler
> Office of Water Supply and Planning
> Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
> rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
> 804-698-4405
> Open Source Modeling Tools:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/npsource/

Dipl.-Geoökol. Birgit Laggner

Johann Heinrich von Thünen-Institut,
Bundesinstitut für Ländliche Räume, Wald und Fischerei
Institut für Ländliche Räume
Bundesallee 50
38116 Braunschweig

Johann Heinrich von Thünen-Institute
Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries
Institute of Rural Areas
Bundesallee 50
D-38116 Braunschweig
Germany