[postgis-users] pgsql2shp.exe fails with Windows Vista

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 16:08:27 PST 2008

Paragon Corporation wrote:

> Oops sent too quickly.  Gives
>
> Unhandled exception at 0x76f8814c in pgsql2shp.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
> violation reading location 0x01ce2882.
>
> Unfortunately I'm not good at debugging c code.  Mark does the above message
> mean anything to you.

Only that pgsql2shp is trying to do something that Vista doesn't like?
Could it be related to pgsql2shp trying to locate libpq.dll? I guess
this is just running pgsql2shp without any additional command line options?

> In VS 2008 - just tells me binary not built with debug info.

That's correct, the installer versions are stripped to remove the debug
to keep the sizes down. I have the original unstripped versions here,
but I'm fairly certain that gdb/MSVC have different debug info formats.
Hence if you want to debug, you'll need these unstripped versions and a
copy of MSYS/gdb on your Vista box to get a backtrace.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland