[postgis-users] The Old Who is using PostGIS survey again?

Mark mark.balman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 02:06:20 PST 2008

Hi all

I have been wondering when a book on the joys of postgis would be written. Here are my survey answers

1) How you use PostGIS?

Currently I am using postgis at home for personal projects dealing with wildlife conservation issues as well as teaching myself new technologies. I am impressed not only with the ability to store and analyse spatial and non spatial data in the same database but also the ability to display query results through mapserver and geoserver for web based tools as well as through desktop applications such as uDIG, QGIS and GRASS. I am also trying to implement postgis/mapserver at my workplace to assist with our global conservation efforts.

2) What you find useful about it over anything else?

I like the idea of having my data in one place with the ability to analyse and output results in various formats such as kml and shapefiles and all of this for free (we do not have the money to explore proprietary databases such as Oracle, SQL Server)

3) Why you think there should be any book written focused on its use and of
course if such a thing were to exist, would you buy it?

I think that there are enough users to warrant a book of this type, I am constantly amazed at how quick the postgis users respond to any questions posted. I would definitely buy this book as I have several FOSS GIS books and this would make a valuable contribution to my little library. Not too sure how you would cover such a potentially huge range of interests and experiences, but I would like to see something that covers numerous examples ranging from basic to complex

Best wishes for 2009 everyone!

Mark