[postgis-users] pg_restore fails for postgis data dump

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at grid.unep.ch
Mon Feb 4 04:01:43 PST 2008

Hi there,

I just wanted to restore a dump which I did, which includes some
postgis data. But, it doesn't work and instead I get this error message:

pg_restore: restoring data for table "boundaries_national"
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] error returned by PQputCopyData: server
closed the connection unexpectedly
	before or while processing the request.
pg_restore: *** aborted because of error

The log shows this:
LOG:  server process (PID 737) was terminated by signal 10
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server
process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back
the current transaction and exit, because another server process
exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.
LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2008-02-01 15:07:12 CET
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/FC56620C
LOG:  redo record is at 0/FC56620C; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown
FALSE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 0/8880241; next OID: 9551872
LOG:  next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery
in progress
LOG:  redo starts at 0/FC566254
LOG:  record with zero length at 0/FC7435DC
LOG:  redo done at 0/FC7435B4
LOG:  database system is ready

What does it mean? The dump is from a 8.1 database, whereas the new
one is 8.2. There is surely as well some difference in postgis
version. Can it be linked to that? I am working with Leopard.

Thanks for any advice.

Stef

   Lean Back and Relax - Enjoy some Nature Photography
   http://photoblog.la-famille-schwarzer.de

   Appetite for Global Data? UNEP GEO Data Portal:
   http://geodata.grid.unep.ch