[postgis-users] if i use postgis, is it true that i'll then have to worry about supporting only 1 database??

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Wed Feb 6 14:09:13 PST 2008

John,

If you have a lot of attribute data that all depends upon the same
spatial columns it should not be a problem to establish all the
relationships that would be needed to link many tables to one spatial
geometry within one database.

I'm not familiar with dblink: can you explain what is wrong with have
"all your data" stored in one database?

Once you get handy with postgres/postgis you'll find that syncing
data in one database with another  (both which will reside in the
postgres data folder) is really quick and easy. It you just want to
pull data out to backup or convert to another RDMS like MySql that's
pretty easy as well depending on how complex your schema is.

Folks on this list have a ton of experience with using big datasets
with complex tables. Send more specific concerns that I or others
will try to answer.

I'd also urge you to dive into using postgres/postgis right away with
some sample datasets. It's often easier to visualize your questions
once you've done so.

Cheers,

Dane